Saturday, December 28, 2002

I swear sometimes I feel like a persnickity old Miss Grundy among bohemian free spirits. What I'm finding, in looking for spiritual practices among Baha'i mystics is that there really aren't any -- the only universal seems to be meditation on the Writings, in some form or another. (Although there are some who never seem to get out of the Seven Valleys.) The rest of it seems to be a kind of follow-your-heart emotional effusiveness. And, there's nothing *wrong* with that, precisely -- and besides, who am I to tell anybody what they ought to be doing? But I'm not entirely comfortable with that. My overall outlook is more disciplined -- and in areas where I am undisciplined, I feel like I should be.

I don't know what I was hoping for, really. Maybe that I wouldn't have to go it alone. I don't know; I'll have to think on it some more.

No comments: