Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day is Peace Day

Mother's Day was originally founded as part of the Peace movement; Julia Ware Howe, founder of the holiday insisted "Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience."

I was recently talking about how I would do anything to prevent my son from being sent off to war, but what I didn't add is that it's not only fear that he would be killed -- I don't want him turned into a killer, either, which would be the obvious necessity for his survival. No matter how you justify it, the obligation to kill other human beings does something to the human soul, something that I don't want done to my son -- or daughter, for that matter. As Baha'u'llah said "It is better that you should be slain than that you should slay."

No comments: